Tuesday, September 18, 2012

SPRING TIME IN NELSPRUIT, SOUTH AFRICA



This tree is called a Strangulated Fig  it appears to be strangulating the rock.  The tree grows out of the top of the rock with the roots squeezing the rock. Interesting!

We are getting settled in Nelspruit  learning our way around without getting lost most of the time!
We have connected with the Branch Mission Leader who is inactive.  His name is Sfiso.   He is a young unmarried man in his 20's.   He goes with us everyday now as we drive around looking for the inactive's in the Branch.  He knows where everyone lives etc.  He even prepares a message to give.  I do not know why he as been inactive but this lat Sunday he came to church!  And we have appoints this week with him to go out finding again.

Last Sunday there was no one in Primary except kids!   I ended up in Primary for 2 hours with no manuel, pictures, or paper and crayon's and no music!  We sang....tried to tell them about Christ when he appeared to the Nephites and gathered the children around and gave them each a blessing. 
Only the older kids understand some english the younger ones do not understand English at all.  They speak Swazi or Swati.  Two different languages!   We played the "Hoky Poky"  "Do as I'm Doing" and a few more gems like that!

On day I stepped out of the door and a little boy was walking by..I always talk to the kids...He said to me," Do you know you have white hair."  I said acting surprised,  " Really!" 

I took Larry's suit pants into the cleaners...When I went to pick them up they were folded up in a plastic bag.   I asked why they didn't put them on a hanger.  The answer was that I hadn't asked them to.!

I don't think I told you about the run in we had with a cow in Botswana.  We were driving home from Gabrone at night.  When out of the night appeared a herd of cows walking across the road.  Because of the car lights coming  towards us I couldn't see them until about 30 seconds before I hit the cow!
You've heard of the "cow jumped over the moon"  well this was the cow tried to jump over the car but didn't make it!  Larry and I were okay but the cars was banged up on one side.   But the car still ran so we kept on going.

Will you allow Grandma and Grandpa to brag about our 6 grandson's who are currently serving a mission or will shortly by leaving for the MTC.   Preston is in Ecuador, Jacob is in Germany, Steven is in Colorado, Christopher Wiley, Peru; Christopher Bradshaw, Japan and Luke Butler will be going into the MTC Sept. 25th bound for Boise Idaho.

Oops!   The picture above is Elder Moss getting eaten by a Crocodile ...this one showed up in a bakery in the form of bread!

Trouble with the pictures, you can decide which one is the crocodile!!

Thank you for the letters, emails and prayers.   The gospel our family and friends are the most important things in our lives so please take care of yourself until we can get home  and please keep the email's and letters coming!

Love Elder and Sister Moss, Grandma, andGrandpa, Mom and Dad, or Elaine and Larry...and if you have another name for us I guess thats okay to!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome sister Moss! I love the bread crocodile. As you two serve there, the friends you've made and the experiences you have I think of the scripture in D&C "how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me! You'll have a lot of friends and a lot of joy in heaven!
    Keep up the good work!
    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elaine leading/conducting/being the music person in Primary is almost more than I can imagine! We could never get her to sing (on key) in Bend! It's a miracle! Love you for doing all you do, Elaine -- Larry, too!)

    ReplyDelete